Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Are you a Mary or a Martha?

I am going back to re visit a book that I read almost two years ago now. "A Woman After God's Own Heart" by Elizabeth George. Sometimes I like to have a book to go along with my devotions. Any how. Today in my devotion It was on Mary and Martha. I saw some things in this portion of scripture that I myself have never really stopped to think about. Or see how it applies to my life. I know, I know it is a story that all of us know. I just found my nugget out of it today:)

Luke 10:38-42 (for reading purposes, if needed)

So, we know the story. Jesus had gone to the house of Martha to have supper. Her sister Mary is also there. Martha gets caught up in the serving aspect and Mary sneaks out of the kitchen to sit at Jesus feet. Then Martha comes out, interrupts Jesus and bids him to make Mary come and help her. "And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things: But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her." Luke 10:41-42 Here Mary has left her sister in Kitchen to do all the serving. Was she right or wrong. Well, Jesus told Martha that she was right. Martha could have put the serving aside and came and sat at Jesus feet. After all, here was God in the flesh in her house. Instead of spending time with him she was to busy trying to serve him.

Then I thought of how this story fits my life. You that know me, know that I like things a certain way, I can not stand messes, loud noise, things out of place, so on and so on. Okay, so I am a little compulsive. I would have to be honest and say that if I were in the situation, I would have probably had to fight my flesh so that I did not end up doing what Martha had done. It would take a lot for me to set everything aside and just go sit. Especially if I knew that there was much more to be done. Lets be honest. I know that Jesus is God in the flesh. And that My hearts desire would be to sit as his feet. But I think that would have been hard for me as it was for Martha.

Then I started thinking as I was sitting there reading. This applies to everyday life. Do I take time everyday to meet with the God of heaven? Or am I just busy serving? Do I miss opportunities that the Lord gives me on a daily basis to meet with him. Am I completely devoted to God? I know that I myself can improve in many of these areas.

Martha forgot to look up from serving and see what was really important at that moment. And , Mary made the choice to lay up her treasure where it really mattered. Where it would count for all eternity. Mary saw the importance to stop being busy. I heard a great message sometime ago on being busy. That when you say that you are busy, it is probably not a good thing. When we get to busy we do not allow God any room in our lives. Yes it is good to be busy about the things of God, but ask your self are you to busy serving that you are to busy to have a relationship with God himself. Which is the most important relationship that we will ever have.

Christ says that Mary chose the thing that no one can take away from her, or us for that matter. She chose the good thing. She chose to be close to God. She wanted to take in everything that he had to teach her. She knew that this was a chance in life time and she was going to take hold of it.

I know that I get caught up in the hear and now. Having three little ones, homeschooling doing daycare on the side, laundry, housework, staying in shape, cooking, taking care of beloved husband and the list goes on and on. All of this is serving. If I do not take the time to cultivate a close walk and relationship with my LORD and saviour then what good is anything? Everything else can be taken away. But the Lord says that a relationship with him a closeness to him, no one, yes no one can take that away.

I believe that Mary saw the importance to place everything and everyone in her life over to God. She knew that without him she was incapable of anything. She saw that she needed to be in his presence at every moment he was there. I also believe that we as Christian women need to look at it the same way. Except we are with God every moment of our life. We should be ever looking to him for guidance, not becoming to busy with the things of the temporary life. We should be focusing on our eternal life and what we are going to lay up in heaven. Will it be nothing because we were so busy, or will it be much because God was in everything....little....or big. It reminds me of the song "Little is much when God is in it, labor not for wealth or fame, theres a crown and you can win it, if you'll go in Jesus name."

I know that I need to step back and see the opportunities that the Lord has given me with my Children. I get so busy with everything else that I forget to play or take simple time to teach them something small from God's word. I need to cultivate more of a Mary spirit. And put aside my Martha tendencies.

This passage of scripture was such a blessing to me. I pray that it will have been to you also. Mrs.George says when any situation arises she asks her self is this a Mary or a Martha I am being.... I need to simply pause and acknowledge that God is ever present, and what would he have me to be doing, not what I see needs to be done.

In Him,
Brittany

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this, Brittany. It was definitely something I needed to read and think about today, as I know how busy life gets being a wife and mom.

    ~Kayla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Britt, I wanted to share this blog with you from a young girl with wisdom beyond her years! I don't think she's even 21. I met her once & I've been reading her blog for 2 months...since Trent died, as they use to date. She is a great writer & has such a love for the Lord. =)
    www.thehollykane.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete