Friday, March 5, 2010

Contentment...


"But godliness with contentment is great gain" 1Timothy 6:6

I love this verse. And I am finding it to be more and more true the closer I come to the LORD. Sure I am like every woman, I love to shop and decorate and shop =) However I have learned to do all of these things on a budget so that I can stay at home with my three beautiful children. I would not trade that for anything in the world. I have also found much joy in this verse over the past 6 months. Most of you know that we moved from sunny San Diego to Fargo North Dakota. This was a huge change. At first I questioned God. I knew that it was his will for us to be here and I also knew that it was wrong for me to even ask such a question of my loving saviour who knows what is better for me than I do.

As Joshua prepares to re-enlist it is becoming more and more real to me that we will some day in the near future have to pack up our home and move on to our next journey in the LORD. Where ever he sees fit for us to go. I have found my self sadden by the thoughts of this. If you would have asked me a year ago if I loved it here I would have probably answered "no. But I know this is where the LORD has brought us." But if you asked me today I would have to say "YES" I know that I am not found of the winters and I love the beach. But the LORD has given me a real heart for the people here, and for the area. I am so blessed to have been allowed to come here. And grow in grace and in truth. Y'all know I am partial to the south....hehehe.... But if I knew that we were going to settle here and raise our family I would be perfectly happy with that.

As I look back over the past two years I see so much of what God speaks of in this one little verse. He is not only talking about being content with the things that we have. He is talking about being content with the life he has given us. From things like where we live, who we are married to, what Church we go to, who our friends are, the things we have, the finances that he has given us or not given us. I have come to learn that contentment is just sitting back and enjoying the life that God has so graciously blessed us with. Every aspect. It is putting complete trust in Christ and knowing that he knows better than you... It brings to mind a song that some dear friends of ours sing....Their children wrote it...

He Knows better than I

"Sold into Egypt to be a slave for all his days Joseph was forsaken, in it seemed in every way.
But the deeds they had meant for evil, God meant for his good. When the days seemed so long and dearer he remembered on who he stood.

For he knows better than I , He knows the path I take, his plan is perfect in every single way, So I'll trust him to lead me day by day, My LORD knows better than I.

Many times I don't understand the trials I must face, But in every situation he's given me his grace, so I'll just trust my LORD to guide for he always knows whats best, when I humble my self within his word he takes care of all the rest.

For he knows better than I , He knows the path I take, His plan is perfect in every single way, So I'll trust him to lead me day by day, My LORD knows better than I.....

This is so relevant. He does know better that I. He has proven this to me time and time again. Then why oh why do I see such short sighted. I want to open my heart and eyes and see as far as he does in my life. I know a lot less time would be spent in discontentment with current circumstances. And much more praise would be given to my LORD and Saviour for his goodness and love and for his provision.

After all, Who am I to ever question what God is doing in my life? He is the giver and the taker of all things. He has given me the very life that I sometimes am not content with. I should be ashamed. But praise GOD... He is so patient to show us his will and his truth. He is so gracious to wait for us to comprehend him and all his ways. In this I am truly thankful. What a loving and mighty God we serve. Yes sometimes things can be hard to see through Gods eyes. The whys and the whats of life. But there is so much beauty in the opportunities he gives us. If we spend our life questioning or in discontentment then we will one day look back and tell our selves that we missed the whole point of life. To give God the honor and glory that is do unto him. And he gets this most when a Christian is living in contentment with the circumstances the LORD has given him. Remember that your life is a testimony to the lost around you.

I believe that we will never reach this kind of contentment in the LORD, unless we are coming to him on a daily basis in worship and in praise. Only then will we know the true joy of the life God has given us. When we seek to do all things through him and him alone. When we cast aside the weight of the world and take on his vision. Then will we see his hand in all we do and in all we have. To God be the GLORY!!!

It is amazing to me how some of the shortest verses in our Bible can be filled with such strength and power. As you go about your day I challenge you to think on this verse. And seek after the contentment that the LORD speaks of here. For the Bible says this kind of contentment is great gain....

Because of Him,
Brittany

3 comments:

  1. Very true, Brittany :) Sometimes it is hard for me to remember why God would move me to new places. I really dont like to move LOL, but God does know what is best for me and for my family. Thanks for sharing :)
    ~Wendi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this! Our sermon this past Sunday was on contentment. My favorite point of the whole thing was that you'll never be able to minister to others and help them unless YOU are content! Your post has nicely complimented what was already on my heart for the week...and made it an even richer truth!
    *Heather*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your posts ladies. It is always encouraging to hear from other wonderful ladies who trying to serve the LORD to their full potential. I long for that day, in our home beyound the sky when we will see everyone that has helped us in our walk and see everyone that we may have encouraged on our pilgrimage =) May the LORD richly bless you...
    with love,
    Brittany

    ReplyDelete